Add a comment: Easy Homemade Soft Pretzels
- 1 and ¼ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon white sugar or brown sugar
- 3 cups bread flour OR all-purpose flour PLUS some for dusting
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 8 cups of water
- ⅓ cup of baking powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of pretzel salt
- Silver Spring Beer'n Brat Mustard
- Add yeast and sugar to warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes
- Combine Yeast water with flour, butter and kosher salt in a stand mixer.
- Mix on low for 2 minutes then turn speed to medium and mix for 5 minutes
- Cut dough into 8 pieces and place on a floured surface. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes
- Prepare 2 sheet pans with parchment paper
- Roll each dough piece into 20-inch ropes and form into pretzel shape
- Place the pretzels onto prepared pan
- Cover each pan with a kitchen towel and let the pretzels rise in a warm place for 30 -40 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
- Boil 8 cups of water, add the baking soda
- Boil 2-3 pretzels at a time for 30 seconds each side. Drain well with a slotted spoon and place back on prepared sheet pan
- Brush each pretzel with beaten egg and sprinkle with pretzel salt or your favorite seasoning
- Bake the pretzels for 12-14 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking.
- Let the pretzels cool for about 5 minutes before serving. The pretzels are best served warm but they are certainly good the next day. Place them into an airtight container for storage
- Serve with Silver Spring Beer'n Brat Mustard for dipping.
Cooking note: The texture of your soft pretzel is determined by the type of flour you use. You can use either bread flour for a chewy pretzel or all-purpose flour for a fluffy texture. The higher protein content in bread flour makes all the difference. Try combining the two types of flour to make your own custom blend.
Recipe courtesy of sweetsavant.com | Recipe and photo created by Demetra Overton of Sweet Savant
Comments about Easy Homemade Soft Pretzels:
Be the first to comment on this recipe! Click the "write a review" button above.