Add a comment: Gefilte Fish with Beet Horseradish
- 4 cups (1 liter) Fish stock (or fish bones with water)
- 2 sprigs Parsley
- ½ cup Onion (chopped)
- ½ cup Carrots (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 10 Black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon Fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 leaves Bay leaves
- 1 slice Lemon slice
- 2 lbs (900 g) Fish fillets (ground)
- 1 cup Onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 Boiled eggs (large)
- 2 Fresh eggs (large)
- ¾ cups (100 g) Matzo meal
- 5 tablespoon (75 g) Sugar
- 1 sprig Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 cups Silver Spring Prepared Horseradish
- 1 cups Raw Beet (grated)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) White vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
- In a pot add the fish bones, water, and all the stock ingredients such as carrots, onions, fennel, parsley, etc.
- Cover and simmer on medium-low for 1 hour (if using fish bones simmer ½ hour more). Once simmered, drain or remove all veggies. Discard all other vegetables but save the carrots for garnish.
- Meanwhile, In the food processor, pulse the fish (without bones) for a minute or more to make ground fish. Remove and set aside.
- In the same food processor, pulse onions for a minute. Then, add the parsley, boiled eggs, salt, and pepper until fine but not smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all the fish cake ingredients starting from ground fish, onion mixture, matzo meal, eggs, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Combine the mixture well but do not over mix. You want it to be soft but still be able to shape in an oval cake.
- Take small portions of the mixture and shape it into an oval. Use a ¼ or ⅓ measuring cup to ensure all cakes are the same size. Keep the shaped fish cakes in the fridge until the stock is ready.
- Once the fish broth is ready, reduce the heat to low so the broth is at a gentle simmer.
- Gently place the fish cakes in one at a time. Use a spoon to move them around gently to create more space. Once all the fish cakes are in, cover with a lid. Cook the broth on a medium-low simmer for one and half hours.
- After an hour and a half, the fish cakes will be cooked and have turned white. Use a slotted spoon to remove them to a shallow serving platter.
Pour some of the fish stock over the fish cakes to keep them moist. Garnish with sliced carrots (we saved from the stock above) and a parsley leaf. Place in the fridge for a few hours to chill.
Combine Silver Spring Prepared Horseradish and beets in a bowl. Add the vinegar, salt, and sugar. Stir.
Pour into a mason jar and let macerate in the fridge until ready to serve.
Comments about Gefilte Fish with Beet Horseradish:
Be the first to comment on this recipe! Click the "write a review" button above.